As a mom I’d do next to impossible get the best crib mattress for my baby because… everyone knows how important it is for babies to get good quality sleep.
If they don’t, it can certainly have a bad effect on their growing bodies and brains.
A good baby crib mattress not only makes bedtime cozier – it supports your growing baby and keeps it safe.
Your baby will spend a lot of time in his crib and good sleep is important as it directly impacts mental and physical development. We recommend that you never compromise when it comes to a baby mattress. Always try to get the best one you can afford. It’s important to get this right.
Best Crib Mattress for 2019 – Reviews & Advice
As first-time parents, we spent tons of time researching every product we might need for the new baby. One of the hardest ones to choose was the best crib mattress for our son.
There is a huge downside to buying from a physical store, though: you won’t be able to look at tons of feedback and customer reviews like you can online. Selection is also more limited.
Well, when it comes to mattresses, just looking at the product is not enough. Everything important is on the inside, so you will want to touch it and try it. There are just so many conflicting opinions on what the best materials are, how firm the best baby mattress should be, or whether a foam or spring mattress is better.
That’s why we put together this list of the Best Crib Mattress for 2019.
We spent weeks agonizing over this list.
After all, a mattress for baby crib is one of the most important considerations when it comes to infant and toddler safety. We read hundreds of reviews and went to different stores to measure and test the mattresses in person.
Even still, it was very hard to decide on the best baby mattress.
1. Newton Breathable & Hypoallergenic Mattress – The Best for Newborns and Toddlers (2 in 1)
As a parent, you naturally want to give your baby the best that you can afford.
Simply put, this is the best crib mattress money can buy.
This organic baby mattress is made of quality materials, complies with ASTM standards for firmness, and allows your LO to breathe through the fabric because it doesn’t block air flow.
This makes it both comfortable and safe, even if your baby sleeps face down.
However, this also means that it’s not cheap.
Can you really put a price on peace of mind, though?
It fits all standard cribs, and is easily modified into a toddler bed. Since top rated crib mattresses are usually rock-hard, you often have to buy a new bed when your child grows. Not so with this breathable crib mattress. It has two sides: one for infants, and a softer one for toddlers.
The Wovenaire Core: Better than Organic
The core of the Newton bed is made of 90% free air and 10% food-grade polymer. The Newton doesn’t use springs, foam, latex, glue, or other possible allergens, so you don’t have to worry about noxious chemicals. It’s also completely recyclable.
It also doesn’t smell bad because it is organic, which is a definite plus and helps to keep your baby comfortable.
It only weighs 11 lbs so it is easy to change the cover (there’s no need to buy sheets).
It comes with a comfortable cover that is water-resistant, so your mattress won’t get soaked if your child leaks through his diaper. All you have to do is change the cover and your baby can go back to sleep.
Just remember to only wash with cold water and hang it to dry because the cover will melt if exposed to heat. As with the cover, you can wipe down the mattress itself, spray it in the shower, or even submerge it in water if you need to, but keep it away from heat.
Though it comes with one cover, it’s a good idea to buy another one so you have an extra cover when one of them gets dirty. For maximum breathability during your baby’s first year, avoid extra sheets and padding. After that, use breathable sheets if you wish.
The mattress core can be air dried outside after it’s been washed.
We do believe this is the best crib mattress because of:
- Recommended by pediatricians for safety and comfort.
- 2 in 1, can be modified into a toddler bed.
- No need for sheets because of the cover.
- Cover and core are washable.
- Weighs only 11 lbs.
- 100% breathable, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic.
- No foam, latex, springs, glue, or other problematic materials.
- Anti-microbial to keep your baby safe from germs.
- Fits in many standard cribs, including popular models from Ikea.
- The core is made in the US.
- The bed is actually not that firm, which may seem strange since that’s usually what’s recommended for infants, but it’s so breathable that this doesn’t really matter.
- There may be a smell when you first open it up and the mattress starts to “breathe.” This smell will soon dissipate, however.
- The cover is 100% polyester. This is good for the environment, but if your baby has sensitive skin, you might want to pass on it.
All in all, this is a great toxin-free, organic mattress that offers the convenience of being able to adapt it for toddler use later. It’s completely washable and easy to clean, so messes won’t be an issue. The company has great customer service, too.
Indeed, it isn’t cheap, but if you have the money, this is a great value simply because of the peace of mind that it can provide. You know that your baby will be safe sleeping on his stomach and that he will still be able to breathe easily.
2. Naturepedic – Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress – The Best Spring Baby Mattress
Innerspring mattresses are good, hands down, but the main problem with them is that they usually weigh more because of the coils. However, with Naturepedic, this actually isn’t a problem at all.
Because of the way it’s designed, it offers stronger support than a foam mattress with less material than a conventional metal spring bed, so it ends up being extremely lightweight, firm and safe.
Since it’s made of organic cotton and food-grade polyethylene, it is much safer and less toxic than conventional mattresses, while still offering support that rivals many premium offerings.
- Unlike most foam mattresses, there are no weird smells.
- Has a water-resistant coating, so no need for a mattress pad.
- Tested and certified by GREENGUARD, and contains no harmful chemicals.
- More support than a normal foam mattress.
- This is the best completely organic innerspring crib mattress.
- Naturally fire-resistant.
- The cover is not removable. However, it is easy to wipe and disinfect, and you could always just add a removable cover.
- Does not have duel firmness. For an innerspring organic crib mattress that is similar, but has different firmness on each side, look at this one: Naturepedic Dual
- It’s heavier than most good baby mattresses, but is still manageable. When changing the sheets, you can just rest it diagonally on the side of the crib and it makes things a lot easier.
In terms of fire safety, this top rated crib mattress is a great choice for your baby because it complies with all state and federal flammability standards. Since it is organic, it is much less flammable than many kinds of synthetic foams and polymers.
Looking for the best innerspring dual-side mattress?
Look no further!
The Naturepedic No Compromise Ultra is what you need.
Yes, it’s kind of expensive, but it has dual firmness, so you’ll get a few more years out of it than a standard mattress. Also, it is organic and comes without the harsh chemicals of most beds.
3. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer – GREAT Dual Firmness Baby Crib Mattress (FFP)
By far, this is the firmest mattress you will find on the market. You may think it will be too uncomfortable, but actually this is a great feature and is the healthiest choice for your baby.
It is dual-sided and has two different firmness levels. The firmest side is for your newborn, and while it’s pretty hard, this is what babies need for maximum comfort and safety. The other side is not quite as firm, and it would suit your baby well as he grows and becomes a toddler.
This top rated crib mattress is certified under Moonlight Slumber’s Green Safety Shield, which means it has passed a battery of tests, including tests for off-gassing and for noxious chemicals, as well as durability. Its standards exceed GREENGUARD certification.
It has never failed any of GREENGUARD’s tests, and you can expect to see their logo on the product packaging in the future.
- Dual-sided foam crib mattress; extra firm for infants, firm for toddlers.
- Does not sag or rip.
- Is durable and stays like new over many years.
- Material is CertiPUR certified.
- Waterproof material.
- GREENGUARD® Gold certified.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- The cover is waterproof nylon, but it is not removable. You can just put a bed sheet on it, though. The material is also surprisingly quiet.
- It kind of smells when you first open the package, but this is normal for foam beds. The smell goes away after a few days.
We do think that this is a great mattress for baby crib! It’s made in the USA with quality materials that are safe for your child and for the environment. This is medical-grade foam.
If you like foam instead of innerspring because of its lightweight and ease of use, this mattress delivers.
Changing the sheets is a breeze.
This bed is also very well designed.
It has flat corners, and the stitches on the cover are on the sides of the mattress rather than near the edges, which means that it’s much harder for leaks to make their way into the actual core of the bed. This keeps germs and mold from growing and endangering your baby.
It fits very snugly into your crib and there are no gaps that might be a safety risk.
There are cheaper mattresses, but you get what you pay for. By paying just a little bit more, you can get this hypoallergenic, high-quality bed that will keep your baby safe.
Because it is foam, it doesn’t sag or make strange noises, so your infant can stay comfortable and sound asleep all night. Compared to all top crib mattresses we have tested and reviewed, this is honestly one of the best options available.
4. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress – Voted America’s Best Brand for Baby!
If you’re looking for a natural, plant-based material for your baby’s bed, this may be the perfect one.
The foam in this bed is made of soy and reduces problematic sagging that you might find with other materials.
It provides plenty of support.
The cover is water-resistant and can be wiped clean with water and soap, so you can keep germs and allergens away from your baby.
The best thing about the mattress, though, is that while it is firm enough to offer lots of support, it’s not as hard as a board. Of course, you need a firm mattress to protect your baby from suffocating and to keep his little back aligned, but a bit of comfort is good, too.
It doesn’t have the sagging problem that a lot of top rated crib mattresses have, either. Since it is waterproof, you don’t need to buy an extra waterproof pad.
The Sealy features a unique airflow pocket that will keep air moving safely, both for cooling and for breath-ability.
It has dense foam on the boarders that help make the bed extra supportive. This also allows the bed to fit snugly into the crib without any gaps that your baby could fall into.
By the way, if you’re looking for a baby movement monitor to go in the nursery and protect your baby from sleep apnea or SIDS, the Angel Care Movement Monitor works great with the Sealy Soybean mattress.
- It’s easy to change the sheets because the bed is so lightweight.
- It will fit perfectly in standard-sized cribs with no unsafe crevices thanks to its square corners.
- Easy to clean with mild soap and water.
- One of the top crib mattresses that lasts for years.
- Can be used as a toddler bed when your baby gets older.
- This mattress is not 100% organic, since the cover is made of vinyl laminate. While this makes it really easy to clean, if you’re a stickler for the “purity” of completely organic products, then this might not be the bed that you’re looking for.
- For some people, it might not be firm enough for their taste, though it is pretty firm. It is soft enough to work well for a toddler, though.
- There’s not a lot of details about how much of the bed is made of soybean, so you kind of just have to take the company’s word for it.
If you want something mostly organic and plant-based, then the the Sealy Soybean mattress is a great choice for your home.
Chances are, your baby will find it comfortable, and you will find its light weight helpful when you’re changing the sheets. It’s also very convenient that the outside is waterproof, which means you don’t have to buy extra padding to protect from diaper leaks.
While it is on the firmer side like top rated crib mattresses should be, this one is a little softer than the other ones mentioned here in our list of the best baby crib mattresses for 2019.
You could say that it’s not too soft, but not rock-hard, either, and that it is instead “just right.” Because of this, it can be used for older babies as well, even as they grow into their toddler age, which makes it a great value.
5. Safety-1st-Heavenly-Dreams-Mattress – The Best Cheap Crib Mattress Under $100
This mattress is one of the best values around! It is both firm and supportive, but also very lightweight, which is a big help when it’s time to change the sheets.
With a removable, waterproof cover, it’s also easy to clean up.
While the manufacturer insists that the product complies with government standards and is flame resistant without using toxic chemical treatments, the cover has vinyl in it, which does contain toxins.
If this bothers you and you want a more pure mattress, get something organic.
However, if you are on a budget, this mattress might be the perfect choice.
It isn’t the absolute cheapest available, but you need to think about your baby’s well-being and quality of sleep. You can’t really put a price on your baby’s health after all, so it’s important not to be cheap about the mattress you choose.
The best value for your money is often not the most dirt-cheap option, and this mattress is a best seller on Amazon for a reason.
You might notice a “new car” smell when you pull it out of the package for the first time, but it will air out in a few hours. Also note that this is meant to be a baby mattress only. As the child gets into his toddler stage and becomes more active, he might be prone to jumping on the bed, and this might actually cause sagging.
- Free of allergens.
- Strong and durable.
- Fits many cribs and toddler beds.
- The best baby crib mattress under $100
- This mattress is GREENGUARD GOLD certified, which means it is environmentally-friendly and gives off low emissions, so your baby is exposed to no noxious fumes.
- It has a vinyl waterproof cover. While this works well to keep water out, it’s not an ideal material.
- The cover isn’t breathable because of the vinyl, but at least this means it’s waterproof.
- Some people might not like the smell of the vinyl, but actually we didn’t notice any strange smells at all.
6. Lullaby Earth Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress – The Most Lightweight and Easy-to-Clean Baby Mattress
Breathable beds are obviously the ideal with it comes to crib mattresses, since you want your baby’s temperature to be well-regulated, and you also want your baby to be able to breathe easily, even when sleeping face-down.
However, just as a mattress can breathe air, it can also “breathe” in less desirable things, such as mold spores, germs, or particles from your child’s urine.
This is obviously not healthy, so you’re going to want a mattress that is both breathable and waterproof.
This is what the Lullaby Earth Breeze has to offer.
What’s the secret?
The cover has an airflow pocket on top of a waterproof laminate layer. Even the inner mattress itself is waterproof and can be wiped clean.
It is naturally resistant to germs, and it is free of harmful chemicals and GMOs. This makes it much safer for your baby. In addition, it has no vinyl and no polyurethane foam.
- Weighs only 8 pounds, which makes it extremely easy to handle and clean.
- Is very breathable baby mattress.
- Has both a waterproof cover and a waterproof mattress.
- Has 2 firmness levels, one on each side, so it can be adapted to a toddler bed as your child grows.
- Easy to clean, thanks to its waterproof nature.
- Free from chemical treatments that could harm your baby.
- Not the cheapest mattress in the world, however you will more than get your money’s worth since the mattress has dual firmness and you can use it for many years before upgrading.
- Since it’s a new product, there’s not a lot of customer feedback to go off of yet, but we included it because we think it is a great buy and we trust the manufacturer.
If you want a good, truly breathable mattress for baby that is easy to clean and isn’t too heavy to move around when changing the sheets, this is the one.
You don’t have to look far to find a million and one baby crib mattress reviews, but every time we dig deeply and research a product, there is almost always a deal-breaker. For example, almost every mattress we found had some kind of chemical treatment to make it resistant to fire, but these chemicals might actually harm your baby’s health.
This bed doesn’t have any annoying or harmful chemical scent. Actually, it smells like nothing. The cover is very good and comes in a variety of colors. We’re glad we have it in our list of the best baby mattress of 2019.
7. Colgate Eco Classica III – The Best Dual-Firmness Baby Mattress With Memory Foam
This memory foam mattress comes with dual-firmness, is PVC-free, safe for the environment, and uses medical-grade organic cotton for its cover, so you don’t have to worry about your baby’s health being affected by artificial chemicals.
If you’re looking for a high-quality foam mattress for your child, in both his infant and toddler stages, then this is a great choice.
The bed suits just about any typical crib, so you don’t have to worry about any gaps or sagging.
It’s firm, but also comfortable for your child.
However, keep in mind that it isn’t waterproof, so you will probably need to get a waterproof liner for it. It might defeat the purpose of the mattress being organic if you add a synthetic liner, so make sure you choose an organic, non-toxic water-resistant mattress protector to keep this premium bed in good shape, while still keeping your baby away from harm.
- It’s extremely light, which makes it easy to handle and change the sheets.
- There’s no synthetic smell, since it’s organic. This is good because you don’t want your child’s small lungs breathing in fumes.
- It’s dual-sided, which we liked a lot. The side for the infant is quite hard, and the reverse side is soft enough for a toddler, while still firm.
- There’s only edge support on one side of the mattress, though it has perfectly square corners all throughout.
- You can’t take the cover off. You can just line it with a sheet, though. Nearly any crib sheet will fit over the bed.
- According to the tag on the mattress, the foam consists of 92% urethane, 8% rayon. It doesn’t specify any plant-based materials the way the item description on Amazon does.
If you’re looking for something that is pure, natural, and friendly to the environment, this might be the perfect bed for your little one, especially if you have no desire to buy a soy-based mattress. A lot of those soy mattresses are not fully organic, anyway.
This bed will keep your baby comfortable without any allergens or noxious chemicals.
Organic innerspring mattresses are also an alternative, but they are usually heavy. If you want something firm that is also light and easy to maneuver, the Colgate Eco Classica III is your best bet since it is organic foam. You may not realize it now, but your job as a parent is much easier when you can lift up the mattress and change the sheets easily.
This bed is a good fit to our top crib mattresses for 2019 because it has no chemical smell and is made of high quality stuff. It may not say “organic” on the cover of the mattress, but it is less toxic and much more cozy than the vinyl covers you might find on other mattresses.
8. Colgate 2-N-1 Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress with Waterproof Cover
Do you like innerspring mattresses?
This bed by Colgate has thick, durable coils with support rods, a high coil count, and foam of the highest quality, which means your baby will be comfortable and supported. It is also dual-sided, so it grows with your baby.
It features a unique insulation pad made of coir fiber—the “hairy” part of the coconut shell—and it’s a completely natural and renewable resource.
Babies can get cold easily, so they’ll appreciate the extra insulation and the natural material won’t harm them. The cover of the mattress is also resistant to tears and water, and features three layers of protection.
This is a great mattress and a great value, but if you only need a one-sided mattress, you can get the Colgate Ultra II for $10 less: This is the same exact quality, Orthopedic-Style premium bed, but a one-sided version.
- Ergonomic crib that supports your child’s growing bones.
- Waterproof cover.
- The materials that make up the core promote airflow and breathability.
- 135 coils that are 13.5 gauge in thickness. Dozens of coils means extreme support and comfort for you baby and less crying during the night.
- The nylon portion of the mattress can make it a bit slippery.
- It’s not cheap. This is expected, though, since it’s a high-quality mattress.
This is overall a solid, firm mattress, which makes it ideal for newborns. Thanks to its square corners, it is also extremely safe as it will fit in the crib without any gaps. It’s not the lightest mattress because it is innerspring, but the nylon cover makes it easy to clean without having to move it around much. Because it has such good air circulation thanks to the holes along the edges, this bed doesn’t get too cold or hot and your baby will be comfortable lying on it for a long time.
This is a great mattress that has a very satisfied customer base and high safety standards, so you can trust that it will be a good fit for your baby. On top of that, it’s made in the USA.
9. Simmons Kids Slumber Time is One of The Best Crib Mattress with Soy Enhanced Foam
This crib bed is a firm, eco-friendly mattress made of soy enhanced foam. The cover is pure, organic cotton grown without the use of toxic chemicals or pesticides, so you know that your child will sleep safely and soundly.
It has a pleasant, neutral smell with low gas emission, which means your baby’s lungs will be taking in pure air all night.
- It is a dual-sided mattress, so it will grow with your child into his toddler years.
- The cover is made of organic cotton with medical-grade waterproof material on the back. Your baby will be safe from artificial chemicals while the mattress will be safe from leaks.
- It is both GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certified.
- There’s no detailed information on how much soy is in this mattress or how it’s used.
- There’s no explanation on how the cover is both organic and waterproof at the same time.
If you need a dual-sided eco friendly crib mattress that will serve your child for years with its firm support, then this is a great bed to buy. It is shaped to fit nearly any crib without any gaps and it has a soft cotton cover that will keep your baby comfortable on either side of the mattress.
Overall, it’s a strong, quality mattress. The side for toddlers is a bit softer than the infant side, which is ideal. The mattress is also very light, so it will be easy for you to flip it over to change the sheets.
Best of all, it does not have a toxic chemical smell like other beds. You don’t have to worry that your baby will be inhaling any fumes. As a nice touch, it also comes with a mattress bag that you can zip up, to make storing the mattress extremely easy.
10. Pure Core Non-Toxic Mini Crib Mattress with Dry Organic Cotton Cover – The Best Portable Foam Mattress
Please note: This mattress is for mini-cribs (37.625” x 23.5″), not standard-sized ones.
No top 10 list of best baby mattresses is complete without a portable mattress made of genuinely non-toxic foam.
This one doesn’t give off any sort of smell, even when you first open it. Only the best materials are used in this mattress, and it’s shaped to fit in most generic mini-cribs.
Rest assured that it’s firm enough to be safe for your infant.
- It comes with a cover that is made of organic cotton. Underneath, there is waterproof backing that contains no vinyl, and helps you to clean up accidents easily. You can just take the cover off and throw it in the washer.
- Keeps away dusts mites and allergens, so your baby can breathe easily.
- With its square edges, sheets will fit perfectly.
- It’s not dual sided, which means that one side is not softer than the other. However, it’s not required for toddlers to sleep on a softer mattress, so you can still use this firm bed for years without problems.
Keep in mind that mattresses in the United States have to comply with federal guidelines for flammability, and this isn’t easy to do without using harsh chemicals that can potentially harm your baby.
If you want the best eco friendly crib mattress that doesn’t expose your child to possibly toxic materials, look for organic mattresses like this one. It is the only organic and latex-free mini-crib bed on the market.
It works with many kinds of mini-cribs, including the DaVinci brand. Its firmness will keep your baby safe, while not being so firm that it will make your baby unable to get comfortable.
Yes, it’s a bit expensive, but it’s worth it since you will know for sure that you baby won’t be inhaling toxins from the mattress. If you want a mini-crib infant bed that doesn’t give off a nasty chemical smell at all, this non-toxic mattress is perfect.
Best Crib Mattress Buyers Guide – 2019 Update
Do you want your baby or toddler to be safe when he’s curled up at night?
Getting a good mattress for your baby is not something to be taken lightly. Your baby will be spending a lot of time in his bed, and it needs to be somewhere he can be comfortable and protected.
Your baby’s quality of sleep is important.
It’s during these precious moments of rest that your baby’s body grows.
Without proper sleep, your baby’s development could be stunted or his health could ultimately be affected.
It is important that you carefully consider your options and get your baby the best baby mattress that you possibly can within your budget.
However, it’s not really that easy to find the right baby bed mattress. Trust me, we’ve been searching for years. We’ve made a lot of mistakes along the way, trying to find a safe, comfortable, and non-toxic crib bed for our children.
There is just such a huge and conflicting field of possibilities in the world of the best baby crib mattresses. What materials do you choose? Should you get a foam or innerspring mattress? What about latex and coconut hair? What kind of firmness level should you get? What kind of safety features do you need? How do you avoid toxins in the materials?
Unfortunately, the more you look for the perfect mattress, the more you’ll start to realize that most of the products on the market aren’t actually all that good.
It wasn’t easy for us to create this list of top rated crib mattress but we believe our reviews will help you choose what is best for your baby.
Beware: there are tons of cheap crib mattresses that are either poor quality and get torn up easily, or are made of materials that could be potentially toxic to your little one.
Even worse, some of the expensive breathable crib mattress out there aren’t that great, either, so you have to evaluate them carefully on an individual level.
The bottom line is that buying a mattress for your baby isn’t going to be cheap.
What is the Best Crib Mattress for Your Baby?
Good baby beds are firm, easy to clean and durable.
They should also not contain any foam made from petroleum or other noxious chemicals that could harm your child.
The mattress should definitely not be too soft. If it’s not firm enough, then it could form an impression around your baby’s body and potentially cause suffocation.
To keep the baby mattress for crib in good shape, you will also want to rotate it roughly once a week.
You need a top rated mattress that can take a beating. Having said that, if your child is old enough to jump on the bed, maybe it’s time for a regular mattress.
Baby mattresses can start to sag in the middle if your toddler is jumping on it.
Regardless of the mattress, be sure to follow the advice of experts and lay your baby down on his back. Make sure the place he sleeps is firm and free of suffocation hazards.
Choose the Right Size!
Always make sure a mattress is the right size for your baby crib before you make your purchase. Mattress sizing can vary, and even just a bit too wide (or not wide enough) might make it hard for you to fit the bed into your crib. Some foam mattresses can even shrink under pressure, such as after you put on the sheets. Just make sure that it will fit in your crib without any gaps, as this can create unsafe conditions for your baby.
Foam or Innerspring Mattress?
Either kind of mattress can work great.
Assuming they’re of good quality, either a foam or innerspring will give good support and last a long time.
However, there are some important differences.
For instance, foam has a tendency to be lighter in weight. While a foam mattress will usually be in the range of 5 to 13 lbs, innersprings are usually no less than 15 and can weigh as much as 30.
An innerspring mattress is basically made of rows of metal springs with some kind of comfortable padding on top. The best kinds of innersprings have thick gauge steel and their materials are high quality. This makes them harder and more durable than cheap ones, but better materials are usually also heavier.
Chances are, you’ll only need to lift a single corner at once when you’re changing the bedsheets, but this can still be annoying with a heavy mattress. If you want something more lightweight, consider a foam bed.
In addition, foam also has less of a tendency to spring back when someone bounces on it, so your toddler will have less motivation to jump on the bed and ruin it. A child is much more likely to jump on an innerspring bed than a foam bed.
How To Choose The Best Crib Mattress?
Synthetic or Organic?
Organic mattresses are made with all-natural or organic materials, including cotton, wool, coconut fibers, food-grade polymers, plant-based foam, and natural latex. Some of the mattresses are innerspring, some are foam, and others still are not easily categorized.
You might find that best organic crib mattresses are pricey, but do you really want to put a price on your baby’s health? If you want peace of mind, they can be worth the investment, since they normally don’t have any synthetic foam or synthetic latex, glue, springs, or allergens. Usually, they’re also recyclable.
A problem you might face with synthetic mattresses is that they have a distinct “artificial” smell, like that of synthetic chemicals. Often, the mattresses will have vinyl in them, which is a popular material since it’s cheap, fairly strong, and a snap to clean. However, it may give off toxic gas emissions, which isn’t good for a growing baby’s lungs.
Definitely think about getting an organic crib mattress instead, though remember that they do have some flaws. If you don’t watch out for mold or other kinds of living things that might take up residence in the mattress, your baby could end up with respiratory issues.
It’s also possible that natural latex can cause allergies in babies, just as they do in many adults.
Another thing to keep in mind is that even the best organic baby crib mattresses aren’t waterproof usually. A covering made of natural fibers won’t protect the mattress from your baby’s urine, and leaking fluids can feed harmful microorganisms in the mattress. You can mitigate this by getting waterproof padding or bedsheets.
Remember that when the manufacturer says that their mattress is “organic,” that doesn’t have a single, strict definition. The best you can do is look for the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 Certification logo. This certification means that heavy metals and some fire-resistant toxic chemicals weren’t used when manufacturing the mattress.
The problem of toxins in consumer products is something that’s still being studied, but those who favor organic products assert that we should err on the side of caution and just get a mattress that doesn’t use suspected noxious chemicals.
Soy & Soybean-Based Foams?
Soybean foam offers a few key benefits over synthetic foams made from petroleum products.
For one, soybeans don’t give off a strange gas the way that many synthetic foams do. When you pull a synthetic mattress from its packaging, you can often smell it right away.
In addition, foam can usually catch fire very easily, which is why it has to be soaked in fire-retardant chemicals before it is sold, while soy is much less flammable.
Finally, soybeans are a renewable resource, while petroleum is not. Soy is the more environmentally-friendly solution for sure, and it’s also more natural with less fumes to hurt your child’s lungs.
However, think twice before you believe the marketing hype. Just because something says it’s “soy-based,” doesn’t mean it really is in any practical way. There are plenty of “soy” beds that don’t even mention soy at all in their materials list on the label, and that’s because there’s hardly any soy in them. It may sound surprising, but a company can actually call their mattress “soybean-based” if there is just 5% or more soybean in it.
Coconut Crib Mattress – Are They Good?
Coconut mattresses have been a popular choice lately, and for good reason. They are made from coir, a sustainable material, and they are quite breathable because coir (the hairy part of the coconut) is so fibrous. Unlike polyurethane foam, coconut mattresses don’t have that weird smell and they aren’t bathed in toxic chemicals when they’re manufactured.
Could it be that there is some hype when it comes to coconut beds as well, though?
Indeed, not everything about coir mattresses is great. For one, they tend to “collect” unwanted little critters more readily than foam mattresses. In other words, if you’re not careful, bugs or mold can start growing in the best baby mattress if it gets wet. Another thing to consider is that the fibers in most coconut beds are held together by a glue that contains formaldehyde, and that’s not the best chemical to be breathing in.
Do You Need a Breathable Crib Mattress?
What does “breathable” mean?
Basically, a breathable crib mattress is one where you can still breathe even if you’re face down with your mouth and nose pressed against it.
You can probably already see how this can enhance your baby’s safety, but there’s not yet any hard scientific evidence that breathable mattresses prevent suffocation any more than regular ones.
However, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
It’s not going to harm your baby to use a breathable crib mattress, and just in case the benefits really are there, you should do everything you can to prevent SIDS.
What is SIDS?
SIDS stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and it’s the #1 cause of death for babies ages 1 to 12 months in the U.S. It’s responsible for the death of 1,500 babies per year. Babies can die from SIDS while out of bed, but it’s much more common while they’re sleeping.
How Can I Reduce My Baby’s Risk of SIDS?
You can’t remove the risk completely, but there are things you can do to lower the chance. Follow these guidelines and your baby will be much less likely to suffer SIDS:
- Always choose the best crib mattress you can afford.
- Lay your baby down on his back only.
- Have a firm mattress for your baby to sleep on.
- Don’t have any other objects in the crib, such as toys or blankets. Only use a fitted sheet.
- There’s no need to use specialized SIDS-prevention tools like fancy mattresses or wedge pillows. Not only are they not proven to work, but they might be unsafe.
SIDS is certainly a scary possibility, and it’s best to take every reasonable precaution that you can. Yes, there’s no scientific consensus on whether having a breathable baby mattress does anything in preventing SIDS or suffocation, but it’s better to be safe and pick a breathable mattress just in case they really can make a difference. You never know, so you should make every effort that you can to ensure your baby’s safety.
What Should You Look For When Buying a Baby Mattress? (The Features of the Perfect Mattress)
- Size: Pick a mattress that is the right size for the crib. There should be no space between the edges of the crib and the mattress. This is usually not a problem because sizes are standardized, but occasionally you will find that a mattress may be an inch or so off and won’t fit perfectly.
- Firmness: Babies need firm beds both to keep their backs healthy and to help prevent suffocation. Chances are, the bed will feel hard to you, but that’s perfect for a newborn.
- Density: A mattress is only as firm as its foam is dense. Usually, mattresses won’t explicitly tell you how dense they are, but you can kind of guess based on the weight. For an innerspring bed, the amount of coils and the gauge of the springs is what makes the mattress more or less firm. Usually, more coils and thicker (lower) gauge means the bed will be more firm.
- Weight: You probably want the lightest mattress that you can get away with. Having a heavy mattress can be a pain when you have to flip it over to change the sheets.
- Waterproof: You’ll probably have to deal with diaper leaks at some point, so it could help to have a waterproof bed. However, most of the time these are made of vinyl and give off toxic fumes and so we usually don’t put them in our list of the best baby crib mattress.
- Ventilation: These are holes that you might find along the sides of the bed. They allow air to pass through. This can help keep the mattress regulated in terms of temperate and can also help smells dissipate faster.
- Removable cover: You want to make it as easy to clean as possible, since your baby is bound to make a mess at least a few times.
- Certifications: The more the better.
Other Things to Consider When Choosing The Best Baby Mattress:
- Can it be organic, eco-friendly, non-toxin and water-resistant?
The Lullaby Earth Breeze is a waterproof and truly breathable synthetic mattress.
The secret behind this is its Breeze cover, which features a waterproof laminate and an airflow structure for ventilation. You can also easily wipe the mattress core clean.
This top rated crib mattress doesn’t contain polyurethane foam, vinyl, or water-resistant treatments. It’s free of antibacterial biocides and GMOs as well.
After extensive research, we discovered that the Naturepedic is the only waterproof mattresses that is both organic and non-latex.
Naturepedic is one of our favorite mattresses in general. It is organic, non-toxin, does not use vinyl and still be waterproof, which is a major plus. We really didn’t want to have to buy a separate waterproof sheet for the mattress.
- Consider getting a dual-sided mattress. Infants need extremely firm mattresses both for ergonomic reasons and to avoid suffocation. However, toddlers can sleep on a softer bed. With a dual-sided baby mattress, you can use the bed for a few years without having to buy a new one, since you can simply switch to the softer side when your baby gets older.
- Does your mattress need to be hypoallergenic? “Hypoallergenic” basically means that the mattress doesn’t contain allergens. If you already know that your baby is allergic to various substances, then this is a must. You might also consider it if you know that severe allergies run in your family. In general, it’s best to be on the safe side and get a hypoallergenic mattress, even if you’re not sure if you will need it.
What The Best Crib Mattress is Going to Cost You
You could pay as little as $40 for a very cheap one, or you might pay $XXX for high-quality baby crib mattress. You know, you get what you pay for, so the more expensive a mattress is, the better it should be.
Being a parent is not cheap. Sometimes you can cut corners to save money here and there, but when it comes to a baby bed mattress you really should be spending as much as you can afford, assuming that you’ve picked a mattress that’s worth it.
Don’t skimp on vital products that can affect your baby’s health and safety, especially when it comes to the place where it spends the most its time.
How to Choose the Best Crib Mattress For Your Baby?
The first place you’re going to want to look is on the label of the mattress. It should tell you what the materials are for every one of the layers. If it doesn’t tell you this information or is cryptic in any way, then just pick another brand. It’s best not to buy from a company that is hiding their “ingredients.”
Of course, the two most important things that you should be worrying about when picking any mattress for your baby crib is 1) whether it fits the crib perfectly and 2) whether the mattress is firm enough. If the mattress leaves gaps between its edge and the crib, or if it is soft and lets your baby sink into it, both of the scenarios could be a safety hazard.
So before you do anything else, measure your crib a few times to make sure you know the exact dimensions. This way, you can choose a mattress that will fit perfectly in the crib without any gaps. Though beds and top rated mattresses are supposed to be standardized, it wasn’t until we started shopping around that we realized that sometimes the sizes were a bit off by an inch or two.
Finally, pick an organic crib mattress that won’t be toxic for your baby. He is at a vital stage in his early life, and you want to keep him as healthy as you can. So keep these guidelines in mind if you want to keep the toxins away:
- Avoid vinyl. This material gives off fumes that could be poisonous.
- Don’t get a mattress with flame-resistant chemicals. There are natural materials that are resistant to fire and don’t require synthetic chemicals to fire-proof them, such as cotton and wool. Silica is another natural fire-resistant material.
- Avoid petroleum-based foam. Also keep in mind that there are mattress manufacturers out there that say their products are made of soy, when they barely have any soybean in them at all. In fact, a lot of the time, they are mostly polyurethane foam with a tiny bit of soy—just enough to be able to claim they are “soy-based.” Look at the ingredients carefully and ask the company if you have any doubts. Find out what kind of chemicals are used in their mattress-making process, and ask them about boric acid, arsenic, and antimony in the mattress. These are all extremely toxic substances.
Last, but not least, why take any chances with your bundle of joy?
It’s best to just go organic if you can because you don’t have to deal with the issue of toxins quite so much. Sure, organic doesn’t necessarily mean non-toxic, but it’s a huge step in the right direction. Even all-natural materials, like cotton, can be sprayed with pesticides, so seek out organic options when you can.
In the end, we purchased a Naturepedic crib mattress. After using it for awhile, we really do think it’s one of the best if not the very best baby mattress on the market.
It’s waterproof without having to resort to using vinyl, and the materials used in it are safe. This really put my mind at ease and it also helped that I didn’t have to get separate waterproof sheets to protect the mattress.